Posted by mtwinkle on May 18, 2006
1. Wash the rice and soak in water for half an hour.
2 .Heat ghee in a heavy saucepan, add cashewnuts. Fry until brown. Take them out and keep aside. – This is optional step.
3. Garnish with Coriander leaves / grated cheese.
5 medium sized tomatoes (1 tomato chopped lengthwise)
1. Boil the Tomatoes and squeeze out the juice, add water to make 6 cups of tomato juice.
2. Pour ghee in the pressure cooker and heat it over the stove. Add mustard seeds, green chilies, red chillies , cinnamon, cloves and curry leaves and fry.
3. Add soaked rice & handful of green peas and fry for a minute or so and then add salt and prepared tomato juice and close the cookers lid and let it cook under pressure till 2 whistles.
1. Heat oil and add cumin seeds , bay leaves, green chilies, and fry for a while.
3. Add the cooked rice , salt, water and stir. Cover with a lid and simmer the flame.
Capsicum – colored ones
1. Heat little oil and add little mustard, peanuts and little kadi patha.
2. After that add onion, fry till light brown , little haldi powder and capsicum cook for 10 minutes with slow flame (do not add water to cook the vegetable )
3. Add salt and rice.
1. Heat oil and add cumin seeds ,bay leaves, green chilies, red chillies and fry for a while.
2. Fry onion, then add grated carrot, salt, turmeric, little sugar and fry for 5 mins.
3. Then add lemon juice and mix well.
4. Mix this gravy with plain rice.
5. Garnish with coriander
1/2 cup Sugar
Pinch of Yellow Colour
1/3 tsp Ghee or Butter
10, 12 Almonds chopped, cashew bits
1/4 cup Raisins , nutmeg powder
Add the yellow colour in the water and boil the rice.
Add 1/4 cup water to sugar and heat till one string syrup is formed.
Add cardamom pd, saffron strands and yellow colour. Mix this with Rice.
Simultaneously in another kadai, heat ghee add cloves, cinnamon sticks and cashew bits.
When cashew bits turn light brown, add raisins and nutmeg pd.
Pour immediately over the rice and mix well.
1. Clean, wash the Spinach and boil it for 5 min. Strain and puree (mixer) it.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add asafoetida , cumin powder, coriander powder and chopped onion.
3. Add the ginger-garlic paste, green chilies, red chillies.
4. Add the palak paste and some water if required.
5. When it boils add the cooked rice and salt and mix well.
curry leaves, ginger, green chillies
1. Cook one cup rice with two cups of water.
2. Then smash the the rice with a wooden spatula to make it a little pasty.
3. Now add half the yogurt as such to the smashed rice and blend the remaining yogurt with water (use a mixie) and add it to the smashed rice and mix well.
4. Heat a kadai, pour the oil and let the mustard splutter, then add the cumin seeds, finely chopped curry leaves, chillies and ginger.
Add the formula in step 4 to the smashed rice, salt to taste and mix well
Finally add the washed grapes to make it decorative, tasty and healthy.
Serve with lime or mango pickle.
Mint / Coriander Rice
1. Cook the rice. But make sure it does not get overcooked.
2. Heat the oil and add Asafoetida, cloves, ginger-garlic paste and chillies. Fry this and then add the onion.
3. Grind the green chillies, mint and coconut with little water. Add the mint / coriander paste and the rice.
4. Add salt to taste.